GPS Fix

GPS Fix
SAMSUNG GALAXY S (GT-I9000)
- credits ryuinferno -

GINGERBREAD FLASHING MODE [2.3.x]

Now, you'll get:

- First fix takes no more than 1 min.
- Second or other fixes takes under 5 to 10 secs.
- Accuracy is about between 5-10 m, but most of the time it stays on 10m and 15m. It depends on weather conditions, and your prefered modem/baseband.
- Very accurate position in Google Maps
- Very accurate in terms of speed, accuracy, and locking.

Modified gps.conf is the best configuration for EUROPE. If you want to change it, set your own position by using NTP Pool (link at the bottom of this Wiki). It won't mess up with anything.

IMPORTANT:

This fix may also work on ICS Roms. I'm not responsible if your GPS is totally screwed up after applying it into an ICS Based Rom. This GPS Fix was made entirely for GINGERBREAD GALAXY S Firmware.

HOW TO APPLY:

1. Make sure you're rooted, with CWM Recovery and running Gingerbread.
2. Put the .zip into your SD-CARD
3. Go to recovery, by extended menu, or by pressing at the same time the VOLUME UP + HOME KEY + POWER KEY.
4. Go to advance and mount everything ( system, data, sdcard etc )
5. Back, and go to install zip from SD-CARD
6. Choose GPS Fix Made by BlackLineAndroidHD.zip
7. It'll be done in a second or two
8. Reboot and you're ready to test it.
9. Open Angry GPS ( *#3214789650# ) and Delete GPS Data
10. Go to Settings/ General Settings/ and make sure the Operation Mode is set to MSBASED or STANDALONE, since they are the best in terms of navigation.
11. Gps Logging should be set to OFF
12. Accuracy - 50 or 75
13. Now, in AngryGPS default menu, you should see the following settings :

• Session Type : Tracking
  • Test Mode(S/W or H/W) : S/W Test
  • Operation Mode : MSBASED or STANDALONE
  • Start Mode : Hot start
  • XTRA : ON
  • GPS Logging : OFF

Now, you're all done.

the .zip file: http://www.mediafire.com/?2srashynd5rrj42

ICE CREAM SANDWICH FLASHING MODE [4.0.x]

1. Download this file : http://www.mediafire.com/?13b8nskz5x0hhar
2. Make sure you have an updated Nandroid backup
3. Flash this file in ClockWorkMode Recovery and reboot.
4. See if the gps works.
5. If it doesn't work, restore stock ics gps H/W from here http://www.mediafire.com/?69wld5el79b7xl5
6. If it does work, ENJOY!

SAMSUNG GALAXY S II (GT-I9100)
- credits raulrusescu -

This patch can be used regardless of your location (no need to modify ntp servers). The first fix after a reboot may take up to a minute, but subsequent fixes require only seconds! The device will also lock onto 7-9 satellites, which provides accuracy up to 5m.
** DO NOT use any GPS patching app together with this patch as it will modify gps.conf**
ROOTED PHONES
HOW TO APPLY:

1. Make sure that you are running a CM9 ROM/Stock ICS/Stock ICS based ROM. (as long as you have gps.conf and sirfgps.conf in /etc, then it should work)
2. Make a backup of your gps.conf and sirfgps.conf in /etc (copy it into somewhere else)
3. Download the CWM-flashable zip from here: gps patch.zip
4. Reboot into recovery and flash the zip.
5. You are ready to go!

How to restore:

1. Using a root explorer, mount into r/w mode and overwrite the modified gps.conf and sirfgps.conf in /etc with the originals.
2. Change the permissions of the 2 files into rw-r--r--
3. Reboot your phone.
or (for stock ICS ROMs only)

1. Download the flashable zip from here: gps ori.zip
2. Put the zip into your external SD card.
4. Reboot into CWM recovery and flash the zip.
3. Reboot your phone.

NON-ROOTED PHONES
HOW TO APPLY:

1. Make sure that you are running a Stock ICS ROM. (as long as you have gps.conf and sirfgps.conf in /etc, then it should work)
2. Download the flashable zip from here: gps patch.zip
3. Put the zip into your external SD card.
4. Reboot into stock recovery and flash the zip by choosing "apply update from external storage".
5. Reboot your phone.
6. You are ready to go!

How to restore:

1. Download the flashable zip from here: gps ori.zip
2. Put the zip into your external SD card.
4. Reboot into stock recovery and flash the zip by choosing "apply update from external storage".
3. Reboot your phone.

SAMSUNG GALAXY S III (GT-I9300) and it can also be used with S II
- credits crypted -

This patch provides a worldwide solution to GPS issue for multiple devices. Using a general ROM without this has resulted in 10+ minutes of GPS delay. Also, GPS lock kept being lost. By using this patch, most people experience a GPS lock within 10 seconds (2 - 20 seconds range can be expected). Users have reported up to 11 satellites being locked at once.

HOW TO APPLY: (remember to make a backup. See Notes section for what this patch does.)

Method 1:
1. Download the "ADB Push Installer". This contains all versions for the latest build and old v1.3 versions.
2. Extract the files into a specific folder.
3. Plug your device into the computer and get it ready for adb pushing. Nothing out of the ordinary required.
4. Open the batch file called "ADB Installation Script - RUN THIS" if you use Windows. Otherwise, run the Linux SH script if you use Linux.
5. Select the version you want from the list.
6. Follow the prompts to reboot. You're done.
4. Review the NOTES section.

Method 2:
1. Download the patch
2. Copy all file(s) into /etc/ of the system (not sd-card) using ES File Explorer, Root Explorer, or some other form. You must have SYSTEM set to Mounted and Root enabled. Check your explorer app's SETTINGS to do this.
**Files will be: gps.conf & SUPLROOTCERT -OR- only gps.conf for NO-SSL builds.**
3. Reboot the device
4. Review the NOTES section.

Method 3 (easiest if you use a compatible version of CWR or CWM)*:
1. Download the patch
2. Boot into CWR (Clockwork Recovery)
3. Mount /system/ partition (on the main menu, select the "Mounts and storage" option, then "mount /system")
4. Flash the patch (on the main menu, select "Install zip from sdcard," then "choose zip from sdcard," and find the zip and select it)
5. Reboot the device
6. Review the NOTES section.
*This was built for and works on Inspire 4G and DesireHD versions of Clockwork Recovery. The Google CWM Flashable Build has binaries known to work with CWM on the X8. It may work on other devices. Please message me your success if you try and flash with recovery version and phone model as part of the message.

DOWNLOADS:

SEE THE NOTES SECTION (PARTICULARLY NOTES 1,2, & 3) FOR ALL SORTS OF INFORMATION AND FACTS ABOUT THIS PATCH, WHAT EACH BUILD IS FOR, VERSION DIFFERENCES, AND KNOWN ISSUES WITH SOLUTIONS.

Download the Google Specific No-SSL v3.1 build here.
Download the Google Specific v3.1 build here.

NOTES Section:

This works with ANY ROM unless the ROM has aGPS and/or GPS disabled in the code. This happens with CMx nightlies and some betas! I cannot fix this, neither can you.

1. This patch will work with virtually all Qualcomm, Android phones and has been reported to work with other chipsets as well. That means hundreds of devices could see a benefit to GPS performance from this patch.
  2. This patch has various objectives to ensure stability and efficacy with GPS. Locally, the patch will replace your /system/etc/gps.conf and your /system/etc/suplrootcert if you have this file. You can compare the difference in what you have to this one to get an idea of all the changes. V3.1, onward, contains section descriptions for variables in use. Most notably, starting with v3.1 the aGPS Patch uses my own central NTP DNS pool and my own central xtra.bin server by default. The xtra.bin does have fallback servers should mine fail. But, that is very, VERY much an unlikely scenario. These two imperatives allow for better stability and speed by providing top-rated NTP servers and prime-routed network access to transmit the xtra.bin to your phone.
  3. Remember, this has to be reflashed when you update or change ROMs.
  4. Why toss out SSL? Whether or not you have a current SUPL certificate is questionable. Some have expired. Some will expire soon. Either way, the servers may provide SSL access without proper certificates depending upon configuration. That aside, I have found that SSL and secure communications over data networks slows the response times. I see no reason to use SSL for location information. If someone has a logger to obtain your location, SSL will not assist in stopping it. The bad app will continue to obtain your information by "stealing" it and you have more problems than a simple SSL-SUPL communications leak.
  5. NO-SSL Builds will not have a SUPLROOTCERT because these builds do not use SSL. The SUPLROOTCERT is a certificate used for authentication of SSL connections. There is no need for this file for the GPS at this point.
  6. Your phone "learns" about the individual GPS satellites. This is part of the aGPS design. Don't be surprised if the first time you use i.e. GPS Status that it takes 20+ seconds to "lock".
  7. I have read a lot that indicates that it is best to let your GPS run using any application for a while to "learn" aGPS information. Let GPS Status run for about 10 minutes (it has an option to disable the screen timeout) each "first time" to learn.
  8. Remember, this has to be reflashed when you update or change ROMs. Each ROM will have its own gps.conf, normally not suited to all devices.
  9. Use i.e. GPS Status to test signal strength. It isn't 100% accurate, but it gives a very good sense of how the GPS is performing.
  10. If you're wondering why GPS is slow on certain apps? Or, you show up as on a street when you're 6 meters away from it? Well, those apps process GPS data differently which is out of anyone's control except the app developer. Certain apps will force your location to a street until you pass the app error threshold. Food for thought.
  11. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER GPS FIXING APPS with this patch.

NTP POOL PROJECT (manual servers - country specific)
edited by arawn
Aug 22, 2012