USB Jig

USB Jig
LETS GET JIGGY WITH IT

JIG works on most Samsung devices i.e. Samsung Nexus S, Captivate, Samsung Galaxy S I/II, Samsung Vibrant , Samsung Fascinate, Epic 4G, Samsung Omnia 7, Samsung S 4G, Samsung Infuse SGH-i997, Samsung Galaxy S Ace
WHAT is USB Jig?

USB jig is actually a micro-USB device which consist of soldering a micro USB plug, and resistors/resistor (as long as you get value of 301k, however, some claim it will still work even between 300k - 400k, not exactly 301k).

The USB jig should look like this:

usbjig.jpg

You can even make one yourself (if you have some skills) using a micro USB plug and a resistor. It will look something like this:

hm jig.png
WHAT does USB Jig do?
In short, USB Jig has 3 functions:
GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE (main function)
If you soft brick your phone, you can force into download mode using USB Jig and reflash new Kernel or ROM. As far as i concern, there are few ways to force into download mode, however this is the most simple way to get into it. If USB jig doesn't work, i don't think other method will work either. (to get into DL mode, turn off your phone and plug in USB Jig - that`s it)
If your phone is hard brick, i don't think this will work.
REMOVE THE YELLOW TRIANGLE
Once you flash your phone with insecure Kernel, a yellow triangle with exclamation mark will appear at boot splash. USB Jig can do the trick to remove it for you.
RESET Odin COUNTER/RESET CUSTOM BINARY COUNTER
If you flash custom ROM into your phone, the binary counter will record it, even after you unroot your phone and set everything to its original, Samsung can still keep track by referring to binary counter. No worry, USB Jig will clear the counter. However, some manage to get away with it and still get a warranty, but better to be safe than sorry.
Where to GET ONE?
There are two ways to obtain this tiny piece yet important device for most Samsung android users. You can either purchase it from ebay or make it yourself!
It is selling very cheap at ebay (roughly for a couple of euros) and worth to invest. In my opinion, it is a MUST for everyone (you are excluded if you are not into Rooting and flashing your phone)
HOW to make a HOMEMADE USB Jig?
VIDEO

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS (credits TheBeano - xda)

You will need:

1) a micro USB plug that you can solder onto.

Get a cheap micro USB cable and cut the sleeving off the plug with a sharp knife. You cannot just wire onto the cable because this jig uses a normally-unused pin (pin 4) of the micro USB plug which will not be connected to the cable.

2) a 301k resistor. You can make one up by joining several resistors together in series, for example 3x100k and 1x1k. The resistor value does need to be fairly accurate (I would guess within 1% of 301k) to trigger download mode. 300K seems to work for everyone so far.

3) PROCEDURE:

1. Solder the resistor across pins 4 and 5 of the micro USB plug. Do not do this with the plug plugged in to the phone as the heat could damage the phone's USB socket. The pins are shown in this diagram ("Micro-B"). On the Sparkfun micro USB breakout board they are labelled "ID" (pin 4) and "GND" (pin 5). When the plug is plugged in to the phone they will be the pins closest to the headphone socket.

2. Make sure the phone is fully switched off by pulling the battery, waiting 5 minutes, then replacing the battery. Do not switch the phone on.

3. Connect the rigged USB plug to the phone. Try not to touch the pins on the back of the plug or the resistor(s) as you are plugging it in, as your skin resistance could affect the resistor value seen by the phone. You do not need to press the power button. After a few seconds the phone should go into download mode.

4. Disconnect the rigged USB plug and connect a regular USB cable from your PC to the phone, then you should be able to flash using Odin

HOW do you use USB Jig?
a) how to unbrick your phone
- turn off your phone and pull out the battery for 2 seconds.
- put the battery back in the device and don't turn it on.
- plug the jig into the micro USB port on the phone.
- after about few seconds, your phone should boot up automatically and bring you straight into download mode.
- unplug the jig.
- connect your phone with USB cable to computer and then flash your phone via the program "Odin".

b) how to remove the yellow triangle
- turn off you phone.
- plug in the jig.
- after about few seconds, your phone should boot up automatically and bring you straight into the download mode.
- unplug the jig.
- turn off your phone by long pressing the power button.
- turn it on again and the annoying sign should be gone.

c) how to reset custom binary counter
- turn off you phone.
- plug in the jig.
- after about few seconds, your phone should boot up automatically and bring you straight into the download mode(you should be able to see your custom binary counter here). The below message should appear below the counter in green.
ERASING DOWNLOAD INFORMATION SUCCEEDED
- unplug the jig.
- turn off your phone by long pressing the power button.
- if you wanna check the counter, turn your phone on again using the 3 button combo or by using the jig.

PROBLEM
Samsung does indeed keep track of every hack and trick out there. They eventually realize a lot of people is using this dirty USB jig method to reset the custom binary counter/remove the yellow triangle, in order to get a warranty, as they should have void your warranty and charge you for repairs!

Eventually they implement new BootLoader into GB ver 2.3.4 onward to prevent USB jig from resetting the custom binary counter/removing the yellow triangle (confirmed by some owners in xda forum).

However, you can still get into download mode! Which is the most important purpose of all! Phew!!!

GGB BootLoader (GT I-9100) :

If you've already flashed a full package from elsewhere or updated using KIES and cannot reset your binary counter using the Jig just flash this package in the PDA or BootLoader section of Odin to replace the bootloaders and then you can reset the counter: old_bootloader

Here are the new BootLoader tarball if you want to flash them back after resetting your binary counter: new_bootloader

The new BootLoader gives no advantages over the old one whatsoever. It was designed by Samsung purely to get around resetting the insecure firmware counter!

ICS BootLoader (GT I-9100) is here

credits: TheBeano, Intratech, zedomax (xda)
edited by arawn
Jul 21, 2012
T!v@K and Robbie Hood like this.